Am 13.09.2012 05:03, JAMES MAJESKI wrote:
My only queries of the data are handled adequately by the calculations done
in adjacent columns. Nothing special, complex, or complicated will easily
replace it nor be more useful.

Calc can do all this without very easily with the help of the Base component which you strictly reject.

What you asked for in the first posting was about importing the correct values rather than text and then you want the application to derive the correct number format code for each cell. This does not happen. Not in Calc nor Excel nor any other spreadsheet.