Hi :)
I think all these tools require skill and experience.  It's easiest to keep using the tool you have
most skills and experience in but at the same time it is a good idea to try to build-up experience
with other tools.

If Andreas was working with your data then a database-program would be better and faster.  If you
had his level of skill and experience with Base and your level with Calc/Excel then you would
probably find that Base was far, far easier and faster than Calc/Excel for this particular task.
It's beyond the scope of this list to set-up a database for you but i suspect that if Andreas or
Alex or someone did then you would find that easier to work with than the spreadsheet system you
are using at the moment.

Something i would quite like to see at some point in the future is people on this list getting paid
work on a consultancy basis for odd one-off tasks, perhaps not even at such high rates as
consultants might normally get.  There are huge philosophical and practical problems around that
sort of thing though even though it's allowed within the scope of the GPL and MPL license
agreements.

If someone approached me off-list i would feel obliged to point them towards someone with more
skill and knowledge such as Jay, Regina, Dan and the plethora of other people we see giving great
answers week in week out.  If the request was made on-list then i thik we could figure out who
would be best for a particular task, given time constraints and personal work-loads.

Regards from
Tom :)