Am 02.09.2012 18:24, Sandy Miller wrote:
Following problem:

- I am using LibreOffice 3.6.0.2 on Kubuntu 12.04.
- I am using a English US locale where the decimal separator is the period.
- when I copy these three numbers out of this text box:

2.09
2.40
2.12

   and paste them into Calc cells B2:B4 with the following settings

Of course it can handle

2.09  [English, Japanese, Swiss]
2,09  [French/German/Russian]
$2.09 [US]
2,09€ [Many European]

and hundreds of other variants of text values, all meaning the same number "2 + 9/100". Sometimes it may even interprete 2.09 as this years 2nd of September. How the text "2.09" is evaluated to a number completely up to you.

If 2.09 does not give the desired decimal with text import, then it won't give a number with direct input in Calc, Writer, Base neither. Just type 2.09 into any table cell of any component and see if you get a number. The overall default locale for all numberals can be set in the language options. The text import dialog has a locale selector to override the default locale for the respective import process. Each cell or numeric field in the whole office suite has a locale selector for any numeric expression to override the default locale for the respective element.