This was a long running discussion before the change was made. Off hand, I would say that the sides were roughly split and, as with many things with LO, many of the people seemed to have pretty strong opinions.

I expect that in the grand scheme of things, we won't see any serious problems regardless. For example:

If a person, not knowing better, responds to a single individual rather than the list, it is annoying to the person receiving the reply. Worst case, fewer people respond because they don't want to be bothered with direct replies. I frequently receive direct replies regardless.

If a person sends a response with private data to the list.... That happens occasionally, not as often, but sometimes.