This isn't quite the same, I don't want the capital to go down into the
other lines (a drop cap) I want it to have the same baseline as the rest of
the text like this (if you're viewing this in html mode):

The first letter is bigger than the rest...
This is the second line...

However, if I try to do this in libreoffice with register true turned on,
it is doing this:

The first letter is bigger than the rest...
[this gap appears]
This is the second line...

Interestingly using drop caps doesn't work quite right either with register
true turned on. It makes a two line drop cap too tall (that is to say, it
goes down two lines, like it should, but also up a line).