Hi :)
If you have been able to recover or re-create your file then i think the problem is pretty much
solved isn't it?  It's an unlikely event so i'm not sure whether it's worth posting a bug-report
about it.

The 2nd link of these 2 is probably the best one for you for this case
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/
but they both end-up achieving the same thing.

If it happens again then definitely post a bug-report.  Hmmm, actually since it potentially
involves data-loss perhaps it is important to post a bug-report asap.

Somewhere in
Tools - Options
is a tick-box to allow automatic back-up of files and auto-saves every so many minutes during
editing.  I tend to set that about 30mins-1hour instead of the annoying 10mins (or so) default

Regards from
Tom :)