Steve Edmonds wrote:
BTW, I've worked in the telecommunications industry for most of my career and it's been over 30 years since the last time I saw an analog system. New Zealand would *REALLY* have to be a back water country to still be using an analog phone system.

Well just on the outskirts of NZ largest city I am 500m from the roadside exchange box thing. The analogue line went out when it rained and ADSL was next to useless. The national fibre trunk of the second largest telco goes past the door but they won't tap it for me. I have a 19km line of sight WiMax link now, also on another property that has a 30km WaiMax relay. Voip on both and stick it to the telcos. The national fibre rollout sounds good but I doubt it will reach me.

I was referring to trunks and phone systems. There are still plenty of analog "POTS" lines in use, even in Canada. At the other end of your analog phone line is likely a digital phone exchange. From that point on, the entire phone network is digital and has been for many years. In my own home, I have a standard phone, which is connected to a voice over IP (VoIP) box which connects to my provider over the cable TV network. The call quality is better than it was when I connected to the central office over "twisted pair".