LiveCD/DVD is the only way to see as many distros as possible to figure out which one may be best for you. Even though there are limits on what you can do with a LiveCD, it was the only way I knew of, back then, to really decide which version of Linux, and desktop environment I wanted to use.

As for Banking and other things on Windows, there are "secure" browsing apps that will not leave any traces. There are even ones that will hide who you are from the web sites through a portal service where you can browse in safety knowing the web sites will get no info from your system, since they only see what the service lets them see - false stuff. I do not remember where you can get these services anymore, but in the mid 2000's I saw a few of them when I was looking for free services to help with Windows security problems.

Back to Windows to Linux. . . .

Well, I remember the days when I had to try different version of Linux via a Windows VM system. Back then Mandrake, Red Hat, and others tried in that classroom environment. That is when I decided that Linux might be something to try out on a "spare" computer. All I had in those days were P4 based systems running 333MHz to 500MHz for CPUs.

Now it is much easier to see a lot of different distros, as long as you have the bandwidth to download .iso files of their LiveCDs or Live DVDs. I think I still have about 5 or 10 different distro and desktop environment combinations on Live "media" in my software drawer. That drawer had mostly Windows software and the media I got with my computers, printers, and other hardware, but I keep Linux related CDs and DVDs there as well. It is a 36" by 18" by 8" and it is stuffed.

But, for now, if you are a Windows user, I really believe that you take it slow and keep both your Windows system and a Linux system going at the same time. If you have the hard drive space, a dual boot option seems a good one when you do not have a spare system. I use a Dell Laptop with Vista as my dual booting system. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on it, then upgraded it to 12.04 a few months ago, but decided I did not like the Unity/tablet style of desktop and added MATE desktop environment to it. If you like using Ubuntu 10.04's GNOME 2.x desktop, this works better than any GNOME option that 12.04 comes with. MATE works as a 12.04 replacement for the type of desktop I got use to with my desktop, which I still run 10.04 on.

The big issue for most people who go from Windows to Linux, is the lack of drivers for some older hardware [dedicated drivers for very specific hardware] that use USB or are specialty cards. Then their may be problems with drivers for the most up-to-date printers and their extra non-printing functions. Epson printer/scanners have problems with the scanner part for some distro versions. HP seems to work the best for Printer and Scanner options for Linux systems, or at least in my case.

So the big issue with some people will be finding a distro that works with all their hardware. Live media version of a Linux version does help there. If your hardware works then and there, you are set. My HP laptop had problems finding a distro that would work with its sound system. That was in the days of Ubuntu 9.04, and that was the only LiveCD version that worked with that laptop's audio system. HP Pavilion zv6123 AMD64 Athlon powered laptop. I no longer need it to be my Linux system, so it is back to XP/pro and it is used as my primary laptop I take to users who need help with their Windows systems. I have a faster laptop, Dell, but I rather not take it if I can.