On 7/20/12 11:45 AM, Alex Thurgood wrote:
On 07/20/2012 07:06 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

Now we need to build up the numbers in the Windows and Mac office
market.  LO does have the advantage of more [so I have heard] language
support than MSO does, and you do not need to buy a new version to get
these 100+ supported languages for the menu and help systems.

Bear in mind that there are 2 comparative "open source" competitors on
Mac apart from LO :

- AOOo, the follow on from the legacy OpenOffice.org, with some
functionality missing (compared to LO), due to licensing issues
preventing that functionality from being included in the binary release;

Played with it briefly in Windows years ago, but kind of waiting for the Apache dust to settle before considering it.

- NeoOffice : a stable, longstanding and Mac environment integrated
product, yes, behind a bit in version functionality, compared to LO, but
nonetheless representative of a more Mac-like experience.

This was the first office package I checked out after deciding I wasn't particularly happy with Pages, but when I found out I had to pay to post problems and bugs in the Neo forums, that was it for me. I'm not sure Neo is even supporting any new versions for PPC any more.

Don't forget the current Lotus Symphony, it's based on Open Office now.

LO still has a looooong way to go when it comes to Mac OS integration,
and that is without even considering the numerous accessibility problems
that LO causes - quite simply, it is unusable for anyone with a
disability that relies on the accessibility functions provided by Mac OSX.

I've been a computer user since the 8-bit days, and I would have stopped with "LO still has a looooong way to go". :-)

These issues represent major obstacles for users on Mac OSX against the
adoption of LO. It doesn't look like a Mac app, and it doesn't behave
like one either. We still Mac users, of course, but their one and only
initial experience is often fatal to the reputation of our product on
that OS.

The non-Mac interface really doesn't bother me too much, having gone from Atari 8-bit to the ST/TT line, Win 98 then XP, and now OS X. But that consistency in user interface is what makes Macs much easier for some people to learn. Apple terminology really threw me at first, took me 2 weeks to finally figure out that "Airport" meant wireless. But a friend who could never fathom Windows knew right away what it meant. LOL

What the project desperately needs are programmers who can code to
Apple's "do as I say or else" coding standards. This is particularly
true of the user interface, which is fairly far from Apple's HMI guidelines.

Alex

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8