The solution and the probable cause...

In the end, this problem was fixable, by using 'clear direct formatting' in
the areas affected. (Could not do whole doc lest we wipe out italics and
such).

The amazing fact was that the problem did not manifest in a PDF at the
subdocument level, it just showed up in PDF output from the masterdoc. Very
likely it was some kind of imperfection with the process of switching fonts
somewhere in mid project. Unclear if it is substantial enough to rise to
the level of a reportable issue. It probably is, but I would not know how
to duplicate it.