On 05/27/2012 03:44 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
On 27-05-12 04:04, NoOp wrote:
On 05/25/2012 03:48 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

The Business card&  label templates use frames (instead of a table). If
you were lucky you rememeberd to select 'syncronize' when you created it
so that you can easily sync the rest of the cards/label. Anyway, to
modify, I highly recommend that you keep a backup of your original, and
then: 'View|Text boundries'. You'll then be able to see the frame
outlines. Right-click on the frame boarder and select 'Frame|Options'
untick the Protect items 'Position' and 'Size'. You can then modify the
frame as you wish by using the 'Type' tab, or exiting the Frame function
and then move/resize the frame with the mouse. When finished, don't
forget to go back and retick the Protect items 'Position' and 'Size' so
that you lock the frames back down.

However, IMO it's easier just to create a new one, adjust the sizes that
you need, and then copy the data from the first frame over to the new one.

Gerry,
Of course I synchronize as otherwise a sheet of 10 cards is difficult to produce. My problem is actually that the - often difficult - process of aligning the sheet with the pre-formatted paper in the printer is not easy with LO. I only want to use the original view where the dimensions are given. I cannot imagine that's so difficult.I have "View|Text boundaries" always on as I want to see the boundaries but if you want to adapt that and examine the result it takes a lot of paper and ink: I would like to see only the outline to edit as in many label programs is customary.
But it is only a minor nuisance and I have it solved.
Thanks anyway for the input,
Joep

I do not have some of the eariler post to this thread, so my question[s] might have already been answered.

Do you have the option to use a template file [.odt or .doc] that has the exact margin and placement formatting for your labels? I know that every one of the label sheets I use [and have used many different shapes, sizes, and brands] has a template file from somewhere. Avery has a file for every label sheet they sell. There are many sites out there that have free label templates. If you buy the labels from a company [non-generic type], they should have the label template.

As for formatting within the labels margins, I tend to keep a two or three 8-point letter spacing from the left/right margins and two, three, or four 6-point line spacing from the top/bottom margins. his way if the paper does not feed exactly the way it needs to be "perfect" alignment, you have some "wiggle-room". I do not thing I have had any of my current 4 printers, 2 lasers and 2 inkjets, get the sheet alignment exactly.

Your Pre-format paper, did you buy it from a company like Paperdirect.com? I know that companies like that has the templates for the paper/sheet designs that they sell. Most companies like that should have the template for their designs. I have postcard and other sizes of sheets that have a design pre-printed on them. All of them have their own .doc templates. Each printed design, the company had a template for it online. I just had to look for it.

I also have created many sheet designs for postcards, letterhead, note cards, etc., etc.. I always create a template for that design. So a person or business can either have the sheets pre-printed at a local printing company, or they can use a color printer to print the design and the added text at t he same time.

The long and short of this is that there are a lot of templates out there for free. I never have found a quality label sheet that its company did not have a free template for it.