On 05/24/2012 10:45 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 24.05.2012 16:27, Jay Lozier wrote:

If you are using Linux MSO is NOT an option because there is no Linux
version of MSO.

Stop assuming that someone has access to Windows or can afford to buy a
retail copy of MSO. Many LO users have limited finances and can not
afford to buy new software and possibly the hardware to run it.

He is perfectly right. Anyone wanting to work with one of the the most
complicated file formats has to buy the one and only software that has
been designed for that file format.
Assuming that some open source code monkeys spend their lives to hack
equivalent software for free is mere hybris.

MS is adding full ODF support in the next version of MSO

Dreams are free.

Deal with reality and shut up about using MSO formats.

Deal with reality and stop spreading MSO formats. All we need to do in
respect to MSO formats is never writing any OOXML files. Simply send
back your ready made documents as PDF which always looks exactly as
displayed on your screen (File>Send>Document as PDF).
If (and only if) collaboration on the same file is a requirement, then
you send back the old binary file format (doc/xls/ppt) which is fully
supported by MSO.
There is not a single technical reason why any user of LibreOffice
should export OOXML and I wish LibO would stop trying to write this
pestilence of a file format.

My aggravation is the assumption that someone can afford MSO or Windows
or has access to Windows. The OS is Ubuntu. I do not know the particular
situation but to tell someone to buy MSO when it may be unrealistic is
rude if not idiotic. Some can not afford to be spending money on
proprietary software even if they wanted it. Telling them to spend what
they do not have is insulting. Many cash strapped users find LO's
support of MSO formats critical.

Also, do not forget that many MSO users are not truly skilled computer
users. Expecting them to do something like change the default file
format is unrealistic.

The reality is MSO support will be needed by many users because of what
others are doing such as the US government, I am in the US. Until the
Federal government mandates ODF only use within the government this will
not change. Given the low level of technical competence in both the
Executive branch and Congress I do not see this happening very soon.
Remember you are dealing with the idiots behind SOPA/PIPA and other
similar stupidities. Or as one Speaker of US House of Representatives
observed many members of Congress subtract from the sum total of human
knowledge every time they open their mouths (Thomas Bracken Reed,
Speaker 1890's).

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com