On 05/11/2012 10:01 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 11.05.2012 10:47, ultraxlnt-domai20044888@yahoo.com wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. I probably wasn't clear enough about the goal being that any users added to the machines (post facto) would get MS default formats without doing (knowing how to do) anything. (I was recently excoriated by a client who had difficulty because her customers couldn't open the .odt's LOo gave her....)

Thanks again,
ultra

It is somewhere in the options but you must not do that. Always edit your documents in the native ODF format (odt, ods, odp etc) in order to get most of the software and the best conversion results. Then you call menu:File>Send>"Document As PDF" and everybody will be able to read an exact virtual print of your document since everybody has some PDF reading software on any computer platform.

*If and only if* you need to co-edit some document with users of Microsoft Office you call menu:File>Send>"Document AS MS ..." which keeps your ODF document while attaching a MS version to an email. Next time you get mailed the next version of some MS file open that file and save your copy in native ODF in your own working directory. In this scenario you have to strictly avoid the new OOXML document formats (docx, xlsx and pptx). LibreOffice stores well formed documents in the older doc/xls/ppt formats while these formats are fully supported by MS office. The conversion to doc/xls/ppt works best when it is done in one go. Working in foreign file formats (saving as doc every few minutes) may cumulate conversion flaws.

Hope this helps.

I think the problem is the users do not understand "Save As" will allow them to save in different format. Thus the problem of file default file settings for LO with some users. I have worked with people who have never understood what "Save As" does in any program not just LO. Thus they have no idea that are different file formats for the same type of file (document, photo, video, audio, etc.). Thus setting LO (or any other application) to a preferred setting for these users must done even if it is not the best practice.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com