Hi :)
I'm not sure why you're Xp one is crashing.  Did you use the same installer that you used for the
Win7 machine?  If not then it might be worth trying that one or just check that the download didn't
go wrong.  Can you check the md5sum or sha or whatever?

Even a new install will pick up on an old config folder such as your old configs for
OpenOffice.org.  Sometimes the config folder can be a bit wonky on a fresh release (although it's
about a year since someone last mentioned experiencing that) so renaming the user profile can be a
good idea even on a fresh new install if things seems a bit wrong.

You can find a list of fixes and things from the main wiki-page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Main_Page
but they just tend to be from 1 minor point-release to the next.  I couldn't find the release
notes.

It is very early days for the 3.5.x branch.  I guess that goes up to 3.5.6 too right?

Btw 32bit apps should be fine on 64bit OSes.  64bit OSes wont install on a 32bit machine so
obviously your machine is a 64bit machine.
Regards from
Tom :)