On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 08:23 +0200, Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:
Le 29/04/2012 04:50, avamk a écrit :
Hello,

I would love to fully utilise templates in my Writer documents, but am still
confused about its organisation.

When I open the Styles and Formatting window, it shows all styles under the
Default "category". I can make changes to, and add new entries under
Default. However, I do not like organising my styles this way, because I
can't delete the stock styles in it.

Is there a way to start my own set of styles from scratch, independent from
the Default group? Once I created my styles, how do I save them into a file
so as to use in other documents?

Default styles are there forever, you can't delete them.

Though, I encourage you to use them before any personal style creation,
because

-- the stock styles get internationally supported

eg: EN Text Body is FR Corps de texte
-> This is understadable by whoever opens the document, English speaker
or French native.

-- any user opening you docs will be able to have their own style
settings which will automagically adapt your docs to their taste.

eg: you setup the Text Body paragraph style to use Liberation Sans font
fo your document. If you pass it over to me, where I have the same style
with the Liberation Serif font setup, I can read *your* document with
*my* settings.

Styles are the pillar or OOo/LibO. Just because of this, I couldn't go
back to MSO. It is very important to grasp the styles principles and
learn their use. This knowledge brings a tremendous step in ease of
typing, document structuring and management.
Designing your own styles is of course possible -- and you'll have to do
so whenever the corresponding stock style doesn't exist -- but I
strongly insist on the use of the stock styles before any other attempt.
HTH,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

     Perhaps the first step is to get the Writer Guide from
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation. Since you are
interested in using styles in Writer, Download the ODT rather than the
PDF version. There are two chapters on styles that you should study, and
I think chapter 9 is also important. There also is a chapter on
templates that you should find useful.
     At the bottom of the Styles and Formatting window is a drop down
list. One of the selections is Custom Styles. (The default setting is Automatic
for USA English.) Create your own styles, and select Custom from the
drop down list. You will only see the styles you created.
     All of the user guides listed on that web page is written almost
exclusively with custom styles. Open the Writer Guide in LO, open the
Styles and Formatting window, and select Custom Styles from the drop
down list I mentioned. And if you want to see all of the custom styles,
click on the icons at the top of the window. From left to right, you
have Paragraph Styles, Character Styles, Page Styles, and List Styles.
The last two icons are Fill Format Mode (See Writer Guide), and New
Styles from Selection.
     When I'm using Writer, I usually select Applied Styles from the
drop down list rather than Custom Styles. This allows me to find the
style I want easier. If I find that I need to use a custom style, I
select Custom Styles at the bottom and apply it. Then it appears in the
Applied Styles lists when I need it the next time.

--Dan