@Tom

I'm not sure what you are asking, but this might be relevant:

In this 2010-12-09 document,
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179199(office.14).aspx#BKMK_Changed>

It says that the "The RTF file format is no longer enhanced to include new features and
functionality. Features and functionality that are new to Word 2010 and future versions of Word are
lost when they are saved in RTF. In addition, Word 2010 supports a new converter interface based on
Open XML Formats."

I suppose LibreOffice and OpenOffice could make the same statement concerning features and
functionality of ODF (now or in the future) that do not map to RTF.

In other, more recent statements, there is assurance that RTF 1.9.1 is stable enough for meaningful
reference from International Standards even though there is no International Standard for it.
There is no indication that Saving documents as RTF and opening documents in RTF format is going
away any time soon.

As to the quality of RTF support in various software products, this tells us nothing.  Those who
maintain implementations need to be consulted about problems in their handling of the format.  Bugs
in the format specification are a different matter.  There are Microsoft forums for some
discussions on both of those concerns:
<http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/openspecifications?query=RTF&beta=0&ac=8> is a
general search.  Using "Refine search, By Source:" on the left sidebar is interesting.

 - Dennis

MORE ANALYSIS

There are two different statements in the 2010-12-09 quoite, and I don't quite know why the
"supports a new converter interface based on Open XML Formats" is mentioned.  However, there are
ways for OOXML features and functions to be passed to RTF, as I mentioned.  I imagine there are or
will be features and functions in OOXML (and ODF) that can't be embedded in RTF in any useful way.
 Also, there is a difference between enhancing the RTF format and using the RTF formats for
carrying extended material that is not in RTF format.

It would obviously be better to go to an XML-based format, such as OOXML/ODF as a vehicle for
interchange in the future.  It seems to me that handling the OOXML features that are passed around
in RTF requires the ability to faithfully accept OOXML as well [;<).

There is a 2011-03-17 statement to ISO considering RTF that assures stability and availability.
The 2011-03-17 statement describes the acceptability of referencing RTF specification in
International Standards even though there is no International Standard for RTF.  (The same
considerations apply to the use of Zip in the ODF and OOXML specifications.)  RTF is referenced in
the IS 29500 specification as a format that OOXML documents can link to, although IS 29500 does not
include the RTF specification:

"The RTF Specification [for RTF] was last updated in 2008, and the RS Originator [Microsoft]
anticipates no further updates.  However, the RTF Specification will remain under maintenance and
Defect Reports [an ISO technical term] will be fully considered and discussed with SC34 [the OOXML
ISO maintenance body]. ...

"The RS Originator is willing to consider editorial and non-substantive modifications of the RTF
Specification during an associated IS 29500 [OOXML] balloting period, but would not make change
which alter normative functions in this RTF Specification."

Other text indicates that the RTF specification is freely available and covered under Microsoft's
Open Specification Promise, as I have already described.