On 04/13/2012 09:50 PM, NoOp wrote:
On 04/13/2012 06:03 PM, Don Myers wrote:

On 04/13/2012 08:37 PM, NoOp wrote:
The only bits you need to watch out for is where the user
configuration files are placed. In order to not have one write over
the other, I simply modify the bootsraprc file *before first run* so
that each have their own user config/profile files. Example:

For LO 3.3:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
and change
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice/3
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.3/3

For LO 3.4:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.4/3

For LO 3.5:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/bootstraprc

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/libreoffice3.5/3

Create menu items to each (example:
'/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice'), and that's it. The
Ubuntu/distro version will keep it's profile at ~/.libreoffice/3/user
(or ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user in the case of the 3.5 versions), the
others will name&   put the profile as you've intsructed in the
bootstraprc file.

Thank you NoOp. I appreciate the information. The bad experience I had
was about 2 years ago with OpenOffice. I had updated that to a new
version. Several months later Ubuntu had an upgrade, and they had the
same version of Open Office I had upgraded to. I didn't think anything
about it. When I went to use Calc, I had some of the strangest
behaviors. For any formula, it always gave the wrong answers, even for
very obvious ones, such as 2+2, or 2*25. The only way I got things
working properly again was to uninstall OpenOffice completely, then I
reinstalled the application directly from OpenOffice.

Don
Ah. That is most likely of the two sharing the same profile
(~/.openoffice.org/3/user). That is why I ensure that the standard
install profiles are different from the distro version. For OOo 3.4
(standard) my bootstraprc file is modified to:
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice.org3.4/3
That kept it completely separate from the distro ~/.openoffice.org/3/.

Note: the advantage of keeping (U)OOo installed (at the time) was that
(U)OOo used the go-oo version, so it used gstreamer for multimedia. The
standard versions of OOo did not&  so you had to install the ancient
Java Media Format (JMF)&  that was a royal PITA. The advantage of
keeping all of these installed on my system is that I can easily compare
differences between versions, including putting windows of each
side-by-side.

Thank you again. I'm sure you are correct. When I did the Ubuntu upgrade back then I didn't know enough to know there might be a conflict or anything like that. It was really, really strange to see the results I was getting with simple formulas. None of them gave the correct answer.

--

Don C. Myers