On 04/11/2012 12:39 PM, Don C. Myers wrote:
Hi Fabian,

I've been using Ubuntu for 3+ years. A few years ago I had some
issues with the Ubuntu OpenOffice packages. It might not have been
their fault since I had non-repo versions installed when I did an
upgrade. To fix that problem, I did a complete uninstall of the
Ubuntu version and installed the official OpenOffice version. Ever
since then I've used only the official OpenOffice version before
LibreOffice came along, and the official LibreOffice version from
http://www.libreoffice.org/. they aren't as pretty, but
functionality has been very good. I've been running 3.5.2 on Ubuntu
11.10 and also 12.04 Beta 2 without any issues. And the recent
documents function works perfectly fine in the LibreOffice version
in Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 Beta 2. Here is how I do my install:
(This is for the 64 bit version.)

Download LibO_3.5.2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz to the
desktop. Right click on it and extract it to the desktop. This will
give you the folder LibO_3.5.2rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US
Run the following terminal commands to install it: 1. sudo apt-get
remove libreoffice*.*

It is unnecessary to remove the Ubuntu/distro version of LO. That
version *and* the standard LO version(s) reside nicely on the same
machine, and can be run simultaneously. I currenly have open &
working, at the same time: LO 3.3.4, LO 3.4.6, LO 3.5.1.2, (U)LO
3.3.4, OOo 3.4.0, and OOo-Dev3:

$ locate bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/bootstraprc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/bootstraprc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/bootstraprc
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc

The only bits you need to watch out for is where the user
configuration files are placed. In order to not have one write over
the other, I simply modify the bootsraprc file *before first run* so
that each have their own user config/profile files. Example:

For LO 3.3:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
and change
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice/3
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.3/3

For LO 3.4:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.4/3

For LO 3.5:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/bootstraprc

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/libreoffice3.5/3

Create menu items to each (example:
'/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice'), and that's it. The
Ubuntu/distro version will keep it's profile at ~/.libreoffice/3/user
(or ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user in the case of the 3.5 versions), the
others will name & put the profile as you've intsructed in the
bootstraprc file.