On 27-02-12 10:37, e-letter wrote:
Readers,

For those people that consider high quality software to be of highest
priority, more important than new features, please help to perform
quality assurance manual software tests.

There is a web page which describes manual testing:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Manual_Tests. Clearly,
there are insufficient testers...

Please also subscribe to the quality assurance mailing list:

There are many bugs that seem to occur after so-called "upgrade".
People who make the effort to report bugs: please consider how
important each bug is. If it is of major importance, the ability to
remove the bug must become part of the quality assurance manual test,
i.e. the software version is not passed as good quality until that bug
is removed.

Testing for the success in solving the bug needs to be approved by
using 'litmus' (https://tcm.documentfoundation.org). So, the behaviour
that caused the bug needs to be recorded and entered into litmus.

This should prevent regression bugs and improve software quality in
the long-term.

I support this wholeheartedly.
Before I retired I worked some time as consultant in the capacity as QA-officer and found it one of the most important tasks to prevent customer problems.Alongsides QA of applications, QA of manuals,an often neglected aspect, is even important as is updating manuals with the update of applications. If I had the time I would surely participate in it, however, in my innocence I have, after retirement, in a completely different field, got so much "work" that I have not sufficient time left to seriously participate in QA of applications I use (and which are essential for my work). Therefore, I can only support the plea for more QA on Open Source applications (and of course OS'es).
Joep