On 02/24/2012 03:41 AM, ralda@gmx.de wrote:
Hi!

Is it possible to build/install Libreoffice on a Linux system without
CUPS?. I would like to use the office suit but don't like to have that
awesome CUPS stuff on my machine. Formerly OpenOffice did not require
CUPS. Why is it now required as a hard dependency? Why can't print jobs
just be written to a file and or send to a configurable helper
program/script?

Not everybody likes to blow up his system installation with many unused
modules/programs.

I'm not subscribed to the list, so please add me to CC.

--
Harald

May I ask where you got the information you needed CUPS for LibreOffice [on Linux] to work?

I have been using LibreOffice on Linux since it came out and this is the first time I heard that statement.

I use Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

I wanted the PDF printer for my system, so I installed CUPS-PDF. I did not do it for LO. I wanted to be able to print to a PDF file for my browser and my email package. There is an issue with "export to PDF" that involves specialized fonts not exporting correctly, but "normal" fonts seems to work fine. So I use CUPS-PDF printer to print out these documents with specialized fonts and such that LO does not do properly. I am told that issue is being worked on.

.