I am also among the crowd "hankering" after a native MySQL/MariaDB-
connector in LO. I run LO both under Windows/Vista, Debian-Wheezy (testing!)
and Linux-Mint-12 (Lisa).
Debian: LO 3.5-rc3
Mint:   LO 3.5-rc3
Vista:  LO 3.3.3
The native connector works ONLY on Windows-Vista (quite flawlessly, actually).
For quite some time I have been following the "story" about the Linux
versions of the connector - without success. Trying to download it from the
LO extensions internet site and then to install it using the extension manager
I keep getting an error message
Regards
Heinz