On 02/02/2012 at 05:23, "John D. Herron" <paradox.herron@bluewin.ch> wrote:

As an aside: can anyone tell me what difference there is between
'Default' and 'Text body'?

As Cor pointed out (in rather harsh way, if you ask me), probably you did not
read documentation carefully enough.

Styles are hierarchical (in web-world it's called "cascade"). You may open new
document in Writer, press F11 and set "Hierarchical" from drop-down list at
the bottom of new window. You will see that all styles in entire document are
child of "Default" style. In other words, changes made in Default style will
be present in all other styles. Changes in that style should be keep to
minimum - ideally, you should change only font family and size there. You
should *not* apply Default style directly to any paragraph.

For your main text you should use "Text body" style.

Although I find behavior of your LO rather odd, I would recommend you to use
"Text body" as default style for paragraphs in your document. This is what you
should do in the first place. Hopefully it will solve your problem as well.

BTW, I have never encountered a problem like this in any LO or OOo version, so
it is possible that these packages you did install are simply broken. You
should try to rename your ~/.libreoffice (and ~/.openoffice!) as well, as Tom
advises.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski