I believe I originally posted the original problem.

Linking alternative heading styles to Heading 1, 2 etc partially works. You
can set the numbering styles to do what you want.

The problem is that when you do this it creates two numbering levels for no
rational reason.

When using the standard headings the status bar show Outline level 1,2, 3
correctly

When you create a custom numbering then the level shown in the status bar
shows two levels
Appendix Level 1 : outline 2 when using with a style linked to Heading 2.

The Appendix 2 is set to Outline Level 2 in the Style but this is being
ignored when it is appled.

You can manually use the Tab key to increment the Level. This a workaround
but it has to be applied to each use of the alternatively numbered
paragraphs. The style can be cloned using the brush control.

This is a bug. There is no justification for the behaviour. the style SHOULD
set the outline level. I have no idea why there should be two levels shown
on the status bar.
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3661825/lo-bug.jpg