Yes, the Java library is defective in how it handles PBKDF2, making it impossible to match the
PBKDF2 key generation that is specified for ODF.  (PBKDF2 is defined to work with any binary
initial key, but the Java implementation does not provide for that.  The ODF use of PBKDF2 requires
starting with a binary initial key.)

I did not know about Schuermann's analysis.  However, this problem was also encountered by the ODF
Toolkit project last year.  They have worked around this by creating their own implementation of
PBKDF2 that works properly with the UTF8 of an entered password.

The ODF Toolkit project is just now accomplishing their first Apache ODF Toolkit podling release.
I am told the next release is expected to support the ODF digital signature and encryption
provisions.

 - Dennis