Saving a document with password is indeed an encryption.  The encryption methods are specified in
the ODF Specification for encrypting the parts of the Zip package.  (There is no ODF-specified
encryption for the single- XML-file form of an ODF document.)

The default method, that works for all ODF 1.0/1.1/1.2 documents in packages (e.g., ODT, ODP, and
ODS files), is by Password Based Key Derivation (PBKDF2) using HMAC and SHA1 starting with an SHA1
digest of the UTF-8 user-chosen password.  The encryption with the derived key is Blowfish with
8-bit Cipher Feedback (8-bit CFB).  This is done on each file of the Zip package that carries the
parts of the ODF document.  (Each part has a different, randomly-derived initialization vector, but
the derived key is the same for all of them.)

Starting with ODF 1.2, additional encryption methods can be chosen.  However, there are
interoperability issues if the document is intended to be opened with anything but the computer and
software that was used to encrypt it (actually a common use case but not when secure interchange is
intended).

The fundamental weakness of the current approach is the use of human-entered passwords (which tend
to be memorable and easily attackable), some well-known problems with information leakage from Zip
files and known-/predictable-plaintext attacks.  There is also a vulnerability if the password used
is used anywhere else (e.g., for protecting fields in documents) such that its SHA1 digest becomes
known or suspected.

 - Dennis