Hi :)
+1
to most of that.  There is a wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_2004_for_Mac
although the intro is a bit confusing.  It does point out that the default format is .doc rather
than the newer .docX which is good but does mean you can't open them as zip files.

Newer Microsoft Office can read/write .odt files but they can only cope with the older ODF formats,
NOT the 1.2!  So it is better to save documents in the older 1.0 / 1.1 format NOT the 1.2 Extended!
 Sadly that is not great for spreadsheets.

It might be that pulling documents in as 1.2 is better and then saving as 1.1 if you need to share
with MS Office users.  If you can avoid MS Office users or convince them to install almost any
other Office Suite alongside MS Office (such as LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Calligra, AbiWord, Lotus
Symphony Suite or use Google-docs) then sticking with 1.2 is best.  It's only MS Office that can't
cope.  An increasing number of people are using LibreOffice/OpenOffice so an increasing amount of
documents are in the ODF 1.2 format so MS Office users are going to have to become better at
reading them.

Can you find out what format the files are in?  The file-ending helps.  It is  very strange that
it's trying to figure out Ascii filter options.  That makes it sound like a very non-standard
format or perhaps a wonky .rtf  If you could tell us the format we might be able to help better.
There might be an add-on / Extension that does a better job of converting/filtering.

At Microsoft.com there is this page
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2531
although i tend to find their advice creates problems or doesn't work or abandons you halfway
through an explanation or misses vital steps.  With other help sites if you are given a choice
between 2003 and 2007 go with the advice for 2003 as that is what 2004 is based on and is most
similar to.

Regards from
Tom :)