Hi :)
If the tool-tip pop-up saying "Ctrl-click ..." does not appear then it's not a hyper-link.  These
hyper-links are best viewed in a Pdf of the document.
File - Export to Pdf
Apparently doing print to file and choosing Pdf or using a virtual printer-Pdf doesn't work.  The
export-to-Pdf makes hyper-links work without needing to press Ctrl while doing the left-click on
the mouse.  In the Pdf you just left-click.

In that weird "Structure" line the LS and LE are like tags or brackets around the part that you
want to make clickable.  Rough equivalents are in wiki-mark-up
== sub-heading ==
or in html
<b>something that appears bold</b>
needs something in between the opening and closing tags.  In wiki and html these would do nothing
or might even grumble or create troubles
== == this text wouldn't be a sub-heading because it's outside the tags
<b></b> this wouldn't be bold because it's outside the tags too.

I don't understand why the weird structure line doesn't use something like wiki-mark-up styled
thing that people might be more familiar with rather than the dumbed-down thing that just confuses
people.  When i think about it changing it to a wiki-mark-up would need the mark-up to be very
different from normal wiki-mark-up and would probably make it even more confusing to new people
while also confusing people that have learned their way around the way that it is now.  Perhaps the
Design Team might have some good ideas if someone asked them.

Have you tried the relevant chapters in the documentation on this wiki?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
The Writer's Guide chapters 6, 7 and 12.

For the ToC i think the crucial pages are p10 and 11 in Chapter 12 of the Writer's Guide.  I think
those 2 pages are probably the most useful but they are still not completely clear.

These wiki's although they are even shorter
http://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Creating_a_Table_of_Contents
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Getting_Started/Creating_a_table_of_contents

At last i found some screen-shots!
http://pinyotae.blogspot.com/2011/12/openofficeorg-libreoffice-make-table-of.html
I wish people would update official documentation to get it all in one place (or a couple of
places) rather than creating obscure odd pages of things that may vanish or never be found.  It's
fairly easy to edit wiki's, honest!  The blog links to this OOo forum thread
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4466
(which has no screen-shots).  There were a few YouTube videos such as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hknb9QwCQ
but i haven't watched them and they seem more interested in advanced or clever ways around
perceived limitations rather than the basic level you and i are on.  I'm still trying to work out
how to edit an entry in the ToC so that it's not the same as the heading in the document.

Good luck!  Regards from
Tom :)