Hi :)
You can usually open xml documents in text-editors such as Notepad, Gedit, Kate or whatever.
Notepad doesn't colour-code it but most other ones do after you have changed the view from plain
text to something such as html, css or xml or something like that.  SciTe is quite good in Windows.
 Regina's idea of using a web-browser means you can't edit the document (i think) but it's a quick
and neat way of getting colour coding without fussing around.
Regards from
Tom :)