On 12/26/2011 08:08 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:

I was wondering what Python development packages are best for FREE learning of Python on Windows XP/Vista laptop and Ubuntu 10.x desktop.

Since I have to recreate some simple software text utilities, the ones I has written in C++ years ago were lost, and was told that Python was easy to learn. So I thought since Python was what the new code for LO is written in, there would be some views here.

I could pull out my thickly dust covered C++ books, and try to relearn all of the needed things in that language over again, or I could just use Python. I will test out if it is easier to learn than C++.

So, I need FREE packages for editing environments, interpretor/compiler software, plus free PDF or other non-online documentation sources. Also, it would be nice to find some great free code "script" sites. It would be easier to write what I need to, if I can find something close enough to what I need, and then do the edits to make it work for my needs. FREE is the key. I use Ubuntu, but I might like to have these utilities on my Windows based laptops, like the original ones. So I need to have all the needed tools, libraries, etc., for both systems.

Any help?

I just order some used books, since it would cost too much to buy the new ones at 3 times the cost, when I do not know how far I will be going with Python programming. Now I have to download the software to do the work.

You can contact me off-list at "webmaster@libreoffice-na.us", if you like. One need is for software to compare word lists and merge lists. When you have over 600,000 words in one of the lists, you do not want to do it by hand, even if you only need to see if 30,40, or more, words are in that "rather large" word list.

There is a free book called "Snake Wrangling for Kids, Learning to Program with Python," by Jason R. Briggs. It's not just for kids, and it doesn't "talk down." Downloadable. There are apparently two current versions of Python, ver 2.x and 3.x. The books are slightly different, so see what version of Python you're going to use, and get the correct book. 150 pages, including an index--use your duplex
printer!

(I'm running PCLinuxOS, and the current repo has both versions of Python available.)

The book I have says "Linux Edition"--I downloaded it from a Linux machine. There must be another edition for some other OS, don't know what. I don't remember the URL, you'll have to Google for it. The introduction in Chapter 1 indicates that there might also be a print version--maybe O'Reilly?

--doug