Hi :)
There is a good guide here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Calc_Guide

I'm not really sure how to summarise as it sounds like you are doing the right thing but something
is obviously a bit wonky.  When you enter new data to replace values in the data-range do you press
enter and then give it a little moment?  It doesn't take long but it's not exactly instant.
Perhaps a minute or less.

Apols and regards from
Tom :)