This is how I install libreoffice and upgrade. I did the same before libreoffice with openoffice. This method has never failed me in almost three years of use in Ubuntu. You can modify the lines appropriately for the version which you are installing. This is for the 64 bit 3.4.4 release. You need to check the specific folder information for the menus for each version.

64 Bit Version:
Download LibO_3.4.4_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz to the desktop.
Right click on it and extract it to the desktop. This will give you the folder LibO_3.4.3rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.
Run the following terminal commands to install it:
1. sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*.*
2. sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.4.4rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/*.deb 3. sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.4.4rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.4-debian-menus_3.4-402_all.deb

Don