Hi :)
You can have a machine with more than 1 version of LibreOffice but it's not trivial to set-up.
This guide can help.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
The main advantage is that when you feel like upgrading you can test the new one before committing
to it and rolling it out.  It saves setting up a VM as they are never quite the same as "running on
bare metal".
Regards from
Tom :)