Alex Thurgood wrote

- the first for printing out page 1 in a first tray, and all subsequent
pages in a second tray
- the second for printing all pages to a third tray

Hi Alex.

It is a total mess. I set up 2 printers. One named "tray1" that prints from
tray 1. And the same for "tray2", using the paper in tray 2. Print test
works accordingly. MS Edit does it as expected. And LO ignores it
completely. I have set up a doc with 2 styles for pages, with different tray
sources. Checked that three times. And it will always be printed from tray
1. Doesn't matter which printer I choose. Tray1, tray2, original printer,
always only tray 1.

LO won't print with printer "ray2" from tray number 2. Even if I altered and
checked that in every printer setting that is available. ... Found it. There
is an option tab where you can select to print only to the tray choosen in
the printer settings.

Which printer settings? The one when I set up the page setting? Or the one
that is there, when I like to print? That may be different.

The whole problem is, in my point of view: You can't be sure how much tray
there are, when you set up the doc. As you can choose between different
printers on the network, there will be different trays and papers. Managing
trays via page styles is a mess. You don't know which tray will be there,
when it will come to print the doc.

This layer of complexity is a little bit too much. You need a dialog where
you can match the document defined trays to the existing printer trays.

Will have a test with Softmaker Office. ...