On 12/01/2011 06:10 PM, NoOp wrote:
On 12/01/2011 10:55 AM, bh wrote:
I just switched from NeoOffice to LibreOffice on my Mac.  LibreOffice is much
more reliable!  I was getting mysterious
disappearances of pictures in NeoOffice and have had no such problems since
the switch.

But one new problem is that when I export a PDF and then view it in Preview
(in MacOS 10.6.8), there are full-width
hairline white horizontal rules aligned with the top edge of some JPGs in
the document.  These rules don't appear when
I view the document in Adobe Reader, but they do seem to appear when I
/print/ even from Adobe Reader.  So I'm
guessing the exported PDF has some not-quite-standard feature that isn't
working in MacOS.

An example is at http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/bug.pdf
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but when I view that PDF in Adobe
Reader 9.4.6 (linux) I see not hairline white horizontal rules (even at
200% zoom). Nor do I see them in Evince or Okular.

Printing from AR 9.4.6 (linux) to an Epson WorkForce 635 doesn't reveal
any either. Maybe it's a Mac issue?

I was looking at it with the "default viewer" for Ubuntu 10.04LTS. Whether it is Adobe or not, I do not remember if I installed it, it may not be an issue for everyone. The viewing and the printing that shows the hairline might be a system dependent issue. It could be a resolution issue for printing and viewing. If you print it out with "graphics" at 150 dots-per-inch, it may be there, or not. At 300 dpi is could be there, or not. At 600 dpi, the same. It could just depend on what the printer settings are at for the print job. For me, I use 300 dpi for standard printing of graphics, but for printing of documents that will be reproduced and given out, I go for 600 dpi or greater.

I just printed it out on my Epson Artisan printer. I use US Letter paper so I used "shrink to fit page" and use the print quality option for "text with image". Also I did not use borderless printing. When I looked at the I did not find any hairlines at all. Of course, there was wide borders on the top and bottom of the landscape orientation paper, so to me the original size was not 11 inches by 8.5 inches. Maybe it was 11" by 7.25" originally.

So my printing did not show any hairlines.

Are you printing it out on an Inkjet printer or a Color Laser printer?

I just tried it on an HP Color Laserjet 2600n.  No hairline there as well.