do you have a PDF printer to try?
Ubuntu and other Linux have CUPS-PDF and there is a Windows one called doPDF. I find that it is good to try both the Export to PDF and a PDF Printer to compare each output.

Sometimes it works better with CUPS, while other times it is better with the Exporting.

To my, you PDF sample looks like it has ruled lines as part of the background texture. The more I zoom in for the viewing, the less ruled lines keep in the image. At 300% there is hairlines with only the photo, the "BITS" logo next to it and the National Science Foundation logo. All other images do not seem to have one. I do not see any on the second page.

I wonder why there was only 3 images that had the hairline associated with them. Seems weird. I use to have problems with Adobe's Pagemaker. It placed a small black box on part of the first page of a 8 page newsletter. No one could figure why it happened. IT never happened with any other document. So I ended up using a different package for a pit till I quite doing newsletters.

So it could be just a gremlin in the document.

Have you created a different document, adding the same background and some images? Did the hairline show up with that new document? If it does, then there is a recurring issue. IF not, then it could be something with that document that caused the gremlin to appear.

Try a second document. Simple one with a little text and images, using the same background. We need to know if it is a problem that can be reproduced.