On 11/28/2011 12:27 PM, John D. Herron wrote:

On 11/27/2011 09:32 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
John

On 11/27/2011 01:15 PM, John D. Herron wrote:
hi. i'm working on a standalone ubuntu 11.04 box (no Windows on it!)
with LibreOffice 3.3.4 OOO330m19 (Build:401)...
-- snip --

john

I try to double save important files with my working copy being ODF and when necessary in MSO.

You can try adding this ppa for Libroffice and upgrade to 3.4.4: note I have listed the commands needed to install the ppa using Terminal. This is simpler IMHO than having side-by-side installs of two LO versions.

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libroffice/ppa

    sudo apt-get update

I would run Update Manager or Synaptic and either should find the new versions.

My experience is that 3.3.X is not as good as 3.4.X in handling msox formats. When I had a similar problem with 3.3.2/3 I found that Word 2010 had no problem with opening the file nor did anyone who received it. No one commented on any file corruption.

Looking at your image, it looks like all the information is there so your customer should not even noticed that you had a problem.

Hello, Jay.

i followed your instructions and upgraded LibreOffice to v. 3.4.3
OOO340m1 (Build:302), first adding the ppa:libreoffice/ppa repository and then
having synaptic do the upgrade.

The operation seems to have been successful on the whole; but attempting
to open the .docx document in the new writer version still fails miserably.

I can only hope that the client will be able to open it cleanly in whatever version of
Word he is using.

Thanks for the help and reassurance. Guess i'll just need to keep my eyes doubly focused when I open Word files from clients or other people, and ask them to re-save any .docx files as
.doc before mailing them to me.

jdh

In the meantime I've verified that my client was indeed able to properly open the .docx file i had sent to him. Just to have peace of mind for my own records, I've had him save the document as .doc (Win 97/2000) and send it back to me.
Good news

The problem here (with both LO 3.3.4. and LO 3.4.3) seems to be that while they *can* indeed read .docx files, they *cannot* re-save them in that format *in a manner displayable in writer;* however, the re-save in LO will apparently preserve the structure and contents for any Winword recipients of the .docx files processed in LO. Fortunately, LO is not capable, within itself, to create original MSO .docx documents...

I think the best way to deal with incoming MSO .docx files is to immediately re-save them as .odt or .doc files, as you suggested, and only then do any necessary editing.
Interestingly both ODT and MSOX files are compressed formats. MS tends to sort of follow the standards part of the reason why msox types are troublesome - they are close but not quite there.

A side note MSO 2010 supports only ODT 1.0 and 1.1 versions while LO uses 1.2 enhanced as default.

Again, thanks for the help and reassurance.

jdh

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com