I just realized that on Fedora 16 at least with the LXDE DE the .libreoffice folder is kept under the .config folder in the users home folder. It used to be directly in the home folder. Anyway I did get it to crash again when closing this one and only one spreadsheet. Through several trial and error delete and restore of different folders/files I had found the culprit, which makes it even more confusing to me.

I keep a copy of my wife's expense report template from her job in the template folder (/home/me/.config/.libreoffice/3/user/template) that is a MS Excel template format. When I deleted the file it stopped crashing, but restoring the file the crashing starts again. Now opening this file, which I have a desktop icon that launches it for me, and then closing it does not cause a crash, but opening my budget spreadsheet in ods and then closing it will cause a crash. Again delte the xlt file and no more crashing. What gives?