I wonder if anyone can shed any light on a peculiar (but serious!)
problem that I’ve had all day.

Libre Office (on Ubuntu 11.10) constantly quits without warning. It
happens sometimes when I use certain keys, such as page up and page
down, or backspace or delete, or when I copy and paste text, or
sometimes when I‘m doing nothing. It never goes for more than two or
three minutes without quitting.

I changed the language settings; I changed keyboard layouts; I saved one
document as plain text (.txt) and reopened it in Libre Office; I did a
search for rogue characters ([\x0000-\x0008] and [\x000B-\x001F]), in
case that could cause the problem. I even purged and reinstalled Libre
Office, but to no avail.

On the other hand, I did try opening and changing other documents,
without any problem. Could there be a fault connected only with one or
two particular documents? If so, what can it be? Everything was working
perfectly yesterday, and I don’t recall doing anything in particular
today that could have created the problem.