Thanks for the suggestions,Tom.

The file is definitely being saved in .doc format - and it uses Garamond 11
font in both MS Word and LO.

I recently installed 3.4.4 - yet have not had time to see if the
incompatibility problem still exists with this latest version.

I've also noticed a graphics problem whereas I would anchor a jpg in LO to
a paragraph, yet when opened in MS Word - it changes position and shows it
in Word as being anchored to a character.
Strange.

Unfortunately, I cannot save in PDF format since additional editing will be
done.

Thanks for your help.  I'll submit the problem to MS and see if they might
have an insight into what's going on.