On 09/11/2011 15:57, David S. Crampton wrote:
I wish to comment on this issue. It' more in the nature of how to design
the UI rather than a defect in the Suite. I used MSO both in corporate
environments and personally for many years. Rarely did I use M$'s "My
Documents" as the storage location for any document. In MSO, it is "My
Documents" that is the default location for any "File Open" or "File Save"
operation. MSO insistence on having "My Documents" be the default location
was a universal hindrance. We in IT constantly struggled to thwart it. The
most we could do was redirect it to a networked share.

It is not clear in Mike's posting what exactly he would like the behavior
to be. I would hope Mike is not requesting the M$ paradigm.  I prefer the
existing behavior in LO.

I was under the impression that the behaviour I'm seeing with LO on Win7 was a bug, as it didn't happen for me at all on WinXP. So to begin with, what you refer to as the MS paradigm is what I'm used to, partly through using MSO and partly through OO/LO on <Win7. I'm not implying what I think the behaviour ought to be in this paragraph btw, just stating how I'm used to things.

When using the LO dialogs, trying to open a document or save a new one opens the default documents folder.

I've previously asked for help when I was using OpenOffice, and it seemed to be the case that some people were seeing the same behaviour that I was and others weren't:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=104648&highlight=

If the behaviour I'm seeing is the intended behaviour, then an option to configure that behaviour between 'default documents folder' and 'last used folder' would be much appreciated.

Mike's suggestion about "an option somewhere to control this behaviour?"
is very worthy. Some will like the "My Documents" paradigm; me, not so
much.

I most frequently use the "Recent Documents" list within LO.  The 10
listed items there are just right historical coverage.

Respectfully blustering,