I have been "offline", think near hospital stay illness, since just after I posted this list. So I have gotten back to answering the replies. Thanks for Tom to give the help/hint on installing the file to Windows.

The .zip issue was due to the Extension Center for LO and a Mime-type error with the file storage. So my original one I had in the test version of the "center" was redone as an externally hosted file till that issue is resolved. The links I used for the initial post came directly from a dictionary list on my domain, http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/dictionary.html not the LO Extension Center.

"fewer words"
I opened the word lists with each word on a separate line, like needed. Then I did a line count with a text editor. I had to have a "proper" count for the words, for the system to use the file[s] correctly. Unlike some lists that use "controls" at the end of words helping with suffix word forms, the lists I use does not have them. The suffix control version my take less space but would take more processing power to do the adding of the suffixes, plurals, possessive forms, etc., over that of a straight list that include all the word forms. I used the counts from the package to give the actual number of spellings in the list[s] as my number of words. The largest of the American lists is 638,644 words and for British 638,285 words. I could give you the word counts for all the lists I have, including the one for 217K words, but it is not needed, or is it? Last time I did a dictionary spelling project at a college, the total number of words was over 177K. It used the "suffix control" method to fit as many words in the "rom" memory chips as possible. Actually that was when "IBM Compatible" desktop computers were in the 286 CPU stage. Now there are over 600K word lists.

The issue of actual "fewer" words could be there are words that are not included based upon if that spelling is used in American English or British English.

I have seen some words that are spelled a way or two that I did not expect, but are proper according to the sources I have.

I did not create the lists from scratch.  They are from a source I trust.

The real thing I am looking for help with is what you, the users, would like to have for an English spelling dictionary. I could test them out hours, days, weeks, months, etc., but it would be with my use and needs. I want others to decide if it is useful for THEM.

I choose the 217K word list version as a starting ground. I may, for my personal use, go back down to the 98K size word list version. I would like to know what you think?

Would you prefer the 50K, 98K, 217K, or larger word list for an English spelling dictionary for LibreOffice. If I could unlock the default one, I would for my testings. As far as I remember, the included default English en_US or en_GB had about 50K words in its US and GB word lists. I could actually check if needed.

So please let me know what you think. What size of word lists would you like?

I have been talking to Tom on and off about a larger word count dictionary for LO/OOo for some months. I just decided it was time to get my feet wet again.

The "funny" thing I saw in an older word list, once, was one that did not have the word "dictionary" in it at all.

If I still could remember my basic C programming, I would write a program comparing the different word lists to see which words are not common, but after 3 strokes I have not programmed such a package in many years. Actually a few months after the last stroke.