Another way that does not involve editing any files is this:

Tools > Options > Load/Save > General

In the right panel near the bottom are two drop-downs: Document type and
Always save as.

Select the doc type -- say, text document -- and then select Microsoft
Word 97/etc. in the save as box.

(I'd click OK here but it may not be necessary to do that until you've
set all three.)

Similarly for spreadsheet and presentation.

Charlotte18 has written on 11/2/2011 6:48 PM: