  Hello!

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:11:44 +0200
Marcello Romani <mromani@ottotecnica.com> wrote:

Il 27/10/2011 04:06, soumalya ray ha scritto:
few days back,there was a mail about an extension (probably math)
for libreoffice to integrate latex with it.
what is latex????????
i googled a bit and apparently its an editor mainly for scientific
writing.i am using ubuntu lucid.so downloaded texlive packages from
the synaptic. but i could not understand how to use it?
could anybody give me some idea about it?how to use it with
libreoffice? thanks in advance,

LaTeX documents are similar to programs, and must be compiled (sort
of) to produce typesetted text. If you want to give it a quick try,
install LyX. Don't know about integration with LibO. At least you can
write formulas with LyX, screenshot them and insert them as images
into a LibO document...

  The equation editor in LibreOffice (Math) uses a syntax very similar
to LaTeX. The question is: why only "similar"? Why not using LaTeX
syntax?
  Anyway, it is a common problem to convert LaTeX documents to LO or
MSO formats, which in theory should be quite easy because of the LO
Math and LaTeX syntax similarity, but it actually isn't.
  I believe, the possible solutions are:
- to make LO Math understand the LaTeX constructions;
- to make an utility which would convert LaTeX into [very similar] LO
Math syntax;
- to use the LaTeX engine installed on the system to "compile" the
LaTeX syntax in order to insert some complex formula into LO document.

Otherwise it is necessary to re-type all the formulae if you want to
convert between LO Math <--> LaTeX.

Or maybe I'm wrong and somebody knows another solution? I'd be glad to
hear that! :)

  Regards,
    Vladimir

-----