V Stuart Foote wrote:

==Posted from the Nabble Web Interface==

Yogi,

So reading into it, your Synology DS109 should be a Linux 2.6. based
kernel. Your Windows "shares" are coming to you from the NAS as SMB/CIFS
from a Samba 3.2.x package under Linux.

So you are going to be subject to some of the file locking issues
mentioned.

It looks like there have been a number of upgrades to the NAS's OS and
firmware, I'd go ahead and login to it and perform the upgrade to the
latest OS release Disk Station Manager 3.2 (
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=41034 ).

Synology's Linux OS implementation provides a command line interface. The
configuration files for the SAMBA service can be directly edited (
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_add_additional_directories
) to accomodate account permissions and file/record locking needed to make
content of the SMB/CIFS shares  fully editible from Windows 7.

In addition to the Synology provided OS updates, there is a robust
community of "modders" that actively integrate FOSS packages into the
Synology Disk Station Manager NAS environment.

Suggest you'll do well to do some reading in the Synology forums. You
might be interested in the iSCSI support as an alternative to SMB/CIFS.

Regards,

Stuart

=-=-=
V Stuart Foote
Systems Analyst
Geological Sciences
The University of Texas at San Antonio

First of all I want to thank you Stuart for your assistance.  I upgraded the
Synology DSM and that resolved the issues I was having.  In the past I've
hesitated to do this for fear of jeopardizing the integrity of the data on
the hard drive.  But, fortunately, the transition was seamless and
effective.

I've yet to find the CLI to access Linux on Synology's server.  Fortunately
I have not had to modify permissions or configuration files in order to
solve this problem.  This kind of basic information does not seem to be part
of their documentation.

One last comment on my entire experience with LibreOffice is that overall
for my purposes it is superior to Open Office or the Microsoft product.
However, I am very concerned that it takes a System Analyst to understand
why a very elementary task cannot be performed.  The average LibreOffice
user is only interested in having the application work.  They do not want to
learn about networking or software engineering in order to read a file off a
hard disk.  I admit that I may not be running the average home computer
system, but this is the first time I've knowingly run into a network
protocol problem when trying to read a backup copy of a letter.

Thanks again Stuart.