I looked up some of the Hyphenation info and it seems that they are based upon Tex formating or Oxford English formatting/spelling. As for why it does not look to see if there are hyphens already, blame the Tex code conversion. That is where it seems OOo got its Hyphen information from. The dictionary files for Hyphenation are very complex and code ridden so unless you can read the info [they give a URL for more info] you are told not to modify it. That could cause big problems with your system or if not yours, other OSs then.

I worked on a typewriter version of spellchecker, so I know about substitution codes and with some documentation figure out spelling files, but Hyphen ones seem to be too complex for what I use to know how to do. Also en-English and both Great Britain and Oxford English seems to have different hyphen arrangements for the breaks, or so I gleamed from the little I read.

So I really wonder about hyphens. I rarely use them since I use full-justification instead of using hyphened text to make thing look more justified on both margins. I have not tried to use both. I may have hyphenation turned off as well..