On 09/10/11 11:39, planas wrote:
On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 14:19 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 11:39:14AM +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Ouch!  Perhaps just reboot the machine (rofls).  That typical Windows answer has actually
helped me in Ubuntu sometimes which was worrying!  Just closing and then re-opening the package
manager might help as they seem to do a bit of tidying and fresh scanning in the process.

In no particular order ...

Can you install the 64bit as though installing it in parallel with an 'existing' install (even
tho the 'existing' one has been uninstalled)?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
I'm not sure how that page does it so it might be fairly unhelpful.

Have you tried re-installing the 32bit again and see if that has problems too?  If not it might
uninstall more cleanly 2nd time around or you might spot what's going wrong now you know to
watch for problems.

Have you used the package manager to search for installed items to do with libreoffice/soffice,
checked the history of the last actions the package manager took?  Again i am not sure if it
would help but it's probably the easiest thing to look at quickly even if it's not helpful.

I would be concerned with the reason the 32 bit program wouldn't run
correctly. Everything I've read says 32 bit progs run just fine on a 64
bit system.

On Windows 32 bit packages will often run on 64 bit OS but on Linux that
is often not true.

On my Suse 64 bit there are a set of libraries that allow 32 bit
programs to run fine. I think that they show up as a dependency the
first time you install a 32 bit package on the 64 bit system, and get
installed by YAST.
steve