"dave boland" <dboland9@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:1317088585.19753.140258148080037@webmail.messagingengine.com...
I can get gmane to list all of the subscribed LO newsgroups and it
contains all of the messages in this thread.  Not sure how that
happened, but...  I'm not able to post to the group though, so this is
of no value to me until I can.

The Gmane service provides an NNTP (News) interface to an e-mail (SMTP) *list*. It does this by taking the e-mail messages sent to the list and transferring them to a news group - and vice versa. To post to a group via Gmane the e-mail address from which you intend to post needs to be authorised,= by Gmane. So, the procedure is:
1. Post to the group from your intended e-mail address.
2. Check that e-mail address's Inbox for a message from the Gmane Authoriser.
3. When you get that message, reply to it - no actual text necessary
4. Wait for another message from the Gmane Authoriser saying you are authorised. You are now authorised ;-)

Note too that the rules for different e-mail lists are different:
1. For some mail-lists, including, I believe, the old OOo groups, it is *not* necessary for the e-mail address mentioned above to also be subscribed to the list. 2. For some lists, including, I believe, the LO lists, it *is* necessary for the e-mail address to be subscribed. Typically you would subscribe using the "nomail" (or equivalent) option so that you don't also get all the mail messages.

From the Help for the users@global.libreoffice.org mail list:

== begin extract from help ===
To subscribe to the "nomail" version of this list send a message to:

users+subscribe-nomail@global.libreoffice.org

The nomail version of a list means that you are reccognized as a
subscriber, but will not get any messages to the list. This is useful when it's
necessary to post from several emailaddresses to a subscribers only list.
=== end extract from help ===

Harold Fuchs
London, England