At 21:12 09/09/2011 -0700, Ronly Donly Jonly wrote:
In a lot of my stories, old and new, LibreOffice thinks they are tables; ...

Are you sure?

I have tried to put the cursor into the top left corner of the box and 'table delete.'

That would also delete the content of any tables - not what you want.

Actually, I can't find Table|Delete: ...

That suggests they are not tables.

... I find Table|Convert. Convert shows Text to Table and Table to Text, but Table to Text is grayed out.

That suggests they are not tables.

The most recent story I downloaded ...

Downloaded?  I thought they were yours ...?

I can click on table in the (top) menu, which will show Insert, Delete, and Select. When I click on Select, all four choices (Table, Rows, Columns, Cells) are grayed out.

Guess what: that suggests they are not tables.

Two ideas:

o Are these elements not tables but sections? Go to Format | Sections... . Are any sections listed in the left panel? Click on the section names in turn to select them, and then click Remove. Note that this removes the section structure but keeps the text content of the sections - just what you want.

o You mentioned downloading. Are you perhaps pasting this material into a text (Writer) document from web text? If so, you may achieve what you need much more easily by using Edit | Paste Special... (or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary Paste. If you choose "Unformatted text" in the Paste Special dialogue, you will keep the text of your material without the unwanted structure.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker