What OS are you using?  Do you use Windows, Mac, or Linux

The Recent Documents list seems to work fine with 3.4.2 on Ubuntu 64-bit, even after rebooting. It has been 5 days since my last reboot, and the list is 10 documents long, so I have only 2 or 3 of them older than the last reboot, though.

For Windows, I do not like to use the default Documents folder either. Same for Linux. Are you saying that for LibreOffice the Tools>Options>LibreOffice>Paths -->My Documents "Edit" changes WORKS as long as you reboot, but on reboot it resets back to the "default" folder? What is the path you are trying to keep as your default? Local drive? USB drive? Network accessible drive? That might help the people figure out where the issue[s] might be located at as they try to replicate the problem.

To be honest, I have never tried this, but I think it may be there for network users where their default documents folder[s] are on a file server. For me, I have documents in many different folders between 2 drives. Each folder is for a different use; LibreOffice stuff, Aktion Club stuff, BOINC Volunteering stuff, etc. etc.. I did not reset the default document path, since I have none.

I wish I could have been helpful. If others can replicate your problem, then it will go into a bug report.