Would you be willing to download/install 3.3.4 from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/? I do not use the repository version, and I use Ubuntu 64bit 10.04. You would need to install in via the terminal, but http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/ will walk you through this. No need to uninstall anything either.

I wonder if adding the language packs could help you? You will need to go to 3.3.4, unless someone has archived the "nl - Nederlands" pack for 3.3.3. I do not understand Asian characters, so I do not know if there is a Mandarin language pack listed.

You could also try this Dutch dictionary and see it it works.
http://libreoffice-na.us/English/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/Dutch_spelling_and_hyphenation_Dictionary--nl-dict-v2.00g____2010-09-22.oxt

As for the characters showing in LibreOffice - I am taking a guess here - could it be something to do with the default font you are using for LO's Calc? Format > Character should place you to the dialog to set your default font. I would make sure your font is set for the same one you use in the other applications. As someone who has worked with collecting fonts [over 100,000 of them over the years] I find that many do not have some of the non-English characters that are common in other languages. I would make sure you use a good Unicode font [like Arial Unicode] and see if the problem goes away.